Friday, May 9, 2008

Lack Of Sleep?

Today I stayed home from work because I woke up around 1 or 2 am throwing up. Nasty stuff. I learned that pizza seriously burns your throat when coming back up. I'm not sure what contributed to getting sick this time. I think it's possibly a lack of sleep or just that time of the year where everything catches up with me and decides to show itself by coming up out of my stomach! My body must know that one of the things I take serious enough to skip work for is throwing up. I absolutely will not go to work afterwards because of being so drained and when I need to slow down, this is what happens. Seriously though, I've only had the flu once since being a teacher (that was my first year, four years ago) but I've had some sort of stomach bug/virus every year, usually in the Spring. Last year it was so awful and lasted on and off for about a month, it was so bad I gave it its own name: 'The chicken and broccoli virus of 'O7.' The name came from the first meal I lost during that particular time. This thing that I had early this morning was nothing like that, I could tell it was a one time thing...but I did think about how I didn't have my 'normal' throwing up episode after the yearbook was done, so this must be the episode after the yearbook and Art show was finished.

This whole week something felt different, sort of off and Bomar kept asking me if something was wrong and it was just that I felt abnormally tired. I couldn't shake it. The kids have been CRAZY because of testing being over and they are just done, so having to pass out their artwork to them---even while showing a movie to make it easier, has been a real pain because they've been spastic during the whole process...beating each other with their rolled up artwork, etc...just obnoxious really. So, I guess I have just been getting more and more tired. Julie's mom came into town last night because they were going to Julie's niece's (Leah's) graduation from nursing school today and so we ate dinner later than usual last night. Also when we went to pick up the pizza I was feeling experimental and decided I would try sitting in the backseat and let her mom sit in the front...shouldn't have done it because apparently it just doesn't work out for me. By the time we got to the Pizza Hut (which really isn't far away at all) I was already feeling not so great. Maybe the throwing up was a combination of everything. I'm pretty certain needing sleep fell into the reasons because today I slept off and on until 4pm!! That was in between letting the dogs out to potty and then taking all of them back to bed again...sleeping some more, back to potty...even still, it was GREAT to get that extra sleep in. I can't remember the last time I was in bed for that long! If ever.

They dropped the bomb on us at work that we have to have our entire classrooms packed and ready to go by the last day of school which is May 30th! That would have been fine if we had known all along, but we were all under the impression that we would have post-planning days to pack, without students! So here we are having to have it all packed while dealing with off the chain kids at the same time...plus we have to have our end of year checklists done earlier this year as well. Teachers are having to finish permanent records, report cards, testing AND packing at the same time with students. Our budgets got cut DRASTICALLY...for us four specials teachers, we have to split $2,000 this year. Have you seen how expensive Art supplies and musical instruments are?! Our stuff is the kind of things that get used up every year and we constantly have to purchase more, but there's not enough money for it for some reason. But you know what there is enough money for?! A ridiculous chartered, air-conditioned bus to take us less than two miles to visit our new school. Please.

Anyway...enough of that! Here is the reason for the lack of sleep (aside from Spring-time allergies)...but she is so worth it all. She IS making it longer through the night finally, just needs to be a few hours longer! We both love this little one (who is growing TOO quickly and looking like a pit-bull mix more everyday) to pieces. It's fun and tiring being her mom---and I so will be writing a "Mother's Day" post about my favorite moms and including us as well---because in my book being a mom to four-legged babies has way more similarities than differences to being a mom to ones with two legs! And the job is just as important, because someone has to take care of these babies who have no voice of their own. :)



7 comments:

Lennye May 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

I'm sorry you are sickly. We missed you at work. It is just that time of year.

Copperheart May 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

I always find that a day of sleep can make a lot of things better. Good luck with your end of the year chores!

Anonymous May 11, 2008 at 1:07 AM  

I can't believe how big she is now! She is clearly so loved. She was a precious puppy, but it is amazing to see her so big and strong. Go Lucy! You are a very special girl.

Monkey May 11, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

Thanks everyone! :) Lillian you always say such nice things, but I never know how to get to you to tell you...so maybe you will see this! :) Thanks for always stopping in to check on Lucy and visiting my blog!

K2daK May 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

Hello Lucy!

Sorry that you were sick, I took up for you from one of your work pals who figured you were just taking a day, I said no, she was really sick. I got your back even though I don't work with you anymore!

Anonymous May 13, 2008 at 10:01 PM  

Hi Monkey,

I check back! Sometimes I feel silly though ... because your blog is personal -- I don't want to intrude.

My best friend (I've known her 20 years now! yikes!) is a teacher too here in NYC, and I guess that's why your student stories are so rad to me.

And then there's Lucy ... all your pups, really. My sis rescued a Pom many years ago, and to the world, she (my sis) probably just looks like one of those Elle Woods type of girls with a cute little dog in a tote bag. But I know how amazing doggie rescue parents are.

Lucy's little face brightens my whole day. Her story affected me deeply, and I'm just happy to see her doing so well.

Best to you and yours,

:) Lil

Monkey May 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

Hey Lil! You are like blog family now...more than one comment and I feel like I KNOW you! :) I do post personal things on here, but only things I don't mind the whole wide internets seeing! :) So, I'm glad that you feel comfy coming back. Thank you for the nice things you said about Lucy and her story...she certainly dominates the blog right now, but that's because she's new and so darn cute! I might need to rename it Lucy Land or something! I'm glad you enjoy the updates. :) *warm fuzzies* I wish you and your family well too.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP