Friday, May 9, 2008

Music I've Known

Sarah did a post about her top 5 most transcendent live musical experiences of all time
which leads me to my post...I haven't had five transcendent live musical experiences so my post is about the top music that I've known and loved since I was a kid. These are songs my mom sang to me, danced around the kitchen to and that I learned all the words to before I was out of elementary school. I heard these songs all the time as a child and still enjoy most of them. I used to finish my homework on the 2.5 hour school bus trip home so that I could immediately go out to my trampoline with my Fisher Price microphone stand and hot pink/purple tape player to perform these tunes for my very patient audience, four black labs. Mom definitely has good taste in music, from the music selection, we apparently were a big Motown family! :)
(in no particular order)

1. Stand by Me-- Ben E. King
2. Please Mr. Postman--The Marvelettes
3. Mama Said--The Shirelles
4. Splish Splash--Bobby Darin
5. Bread and Butter--The Newbeats
6. Try A Little Tenderness--Otis Redding (Otis rocks...so many of his songs are awesome!)
7. Cupid--Sam Cooke (His music was played a lot in our house!)
8. Chain Gang--Sam Cooke
9. When A Man Loves A Woman--Percy Sledge (Another big one in our house)
10. My Girl--The Temptations (Besides 'you are my sunshine' this was the next song I can remember learning and mom singing to me all the time--The Temptations were played more than anyone while I was growing up! 'My Girl' also a very sweet movie!)
11. The Way You Do The Things You Do--The Temptations
12. I Heard It Through The Grapevine--Marvin Gaye (I used to make my California Raisin collection from Hardees sing and dance to this one!)
13. Respect--Aretha Franklin (I think R-E-S-P-E-C-T was the first word I learned to spell!) :)
14. I Feel Good--James Brown (I once slid into my 8th grade homeroom singing this song.)

2 comments:

Sarah B. B. May 9, 2008 at 11:02 PM  

Just tried to leave you a comment - hope it went through. :)

Monkey May 10, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Sarah this is the only comment I got from you...not sure where the other one went.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP