Monday, August 6, 2007

It's a Potato!

We all survived the first day back to school...if my Monday classes stay as good as they were today, Mondays will be REALLY good. I went into today constantly reminding myself that it's the "process" not the finished product that matters when these kids create Art. It worked well, I didn't get stressed out when I saw some stuff happening that was less than desirable...just helped put it on the drying rack thinking, "YIKES!" The kids had fun today with getting to do Art at stations and after I got everyone situated, it was ODDLY way easier than having the entire class do the same thing like we've done for the past three years. I was pleasantly surprised and got exactly what I was hoping for. I think it's because I made sure to have "low-maintenance" projects going on at a few tables so that I could be around the more complicated stuff a little more. The little Kindergarten babies were precious and it's always fun asking them their last names because they will tell me a name that seems to be a middle name...so then I have to ask, "well the name that comes after that one" and then they get it right. The highlight was Sara...no "h" in hers Sarah, who had the biggest, prettiest blue eyes and long, wavy blonde hair whom when told to draw whatever she could draw best---came to me with a rainbow in PERFECT Roygbiv order. I was blown away! Her first day and she already knew this. You know I was all about that! She even writes her name very neatly. Here are the cutest drawings from today's little crew and some explanations.



AJ's carrot...I guessed the carrot right and asked him what the other thing was and he informed me that it is a potato. :)



Dawon's picture has a very elaborate story of which I don't remember all of the details...but you can tell that it's a boy kicking a ball to another boy and he has some goals drawn there too. Pretty nifty!


This is Chase's cool picture of people surfing in the ocean with a big wave coming in from the right.

4 comments:

Anonymous August 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM  

Congratulations on your hard work paying off! I love the art!!! What a nice feeling to see great art on the first day of school, afterall you ARE the art teacher! Keep up the good work! K2daK

Anonymous August 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM  

NOW WE KNOW WHY YOU WERE TEACHER OF THE YEAR.....GOOD JOB GIRLY....LEE

Sarah B. B. August 6, 2007 at 8:19 PM  

Yay! So glad it was a success - the pictures are too cool! I cannot believe you have a kid who already knows ROYGBIV. Hopefully the rest of the days of the week will be as chill as Mondays. :)

Susan Chastain Hulbert August 7, 2007 at 4:44 PM  

Hi Monkey! I just got back from vacation and saw you posted on my blog (comments are always exciting!). Yes, indeedy, I would like to know how to change that blog header - any help would be much appreciated.

I can't believe your school year has already started. I am majorly jet-lagged, so I can't focus too well on reading your blog, so I'll have to catch up on it later. I do love all the pix of your color-coordinated dogs.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP