Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer Project: Do Something With Ugly White Refrigerator!

I'm not saying all white refrigerators are ugly, but to us, ours was! There's no way we were going to get another refrigerator just so it would match the appliances (we wonder why they didn't all match when we bought the house) so I had to find another solution. I saw in a magazine where someone painted their fridge with chalkboard paint and then put enlargements of pictures on display...SO LOVED that idea. We still have to paint inside the crevices that the roller couldn't go. Also we like it better without the door handles for now---since they were white and couldn't be painted easily.
Before:

After: (Funny the difference in cabinet color just because of lighting--didn't feel like fixing that! The lighter version is how the cabinets usually look.)

While I had the fridge pulled out I decided four-five years was long enough to wait to paint BEHIND there! You couldn't see anything but a tiny strip on the side peeking out from behind, so it was never a priority. I also got on top of the refrigerator so that I could touch up some areas that needed another coat of the green. While I was up there I thought about how when I went to Open House weekend at VSU when I was deciding where to go to college, in the Art department there was a girl sitting on top of a Coke machine, drawing something in the hallway. I was all over that, I so wanted to be her "when I grew up." I'm pretty sure that-that image and the palm trees planted next to Spanish-style buildings, clinched the deal! :)


I wish I could say that I felt extremely COOL sitting on my fridge doing a little home renovation, but I mostly felt apprehensive about not wanting to fall and get stuck between the refrigerator and some cabinets!! :) Maybe I would have felt differently had it been a Pepsi machine!

5 comments:

Lennye July 20, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

I think you could be the crafiest person I know! One time Dan and I got a great deal on a frig only it was avocado green (back when this was definately out as a color), so we painted it white with appliance paint. I really dig your "new" frig.

krista July 20, 2008 at 9:06 PM  

WE'RE TOTALLY DOING THIS TO OUR FRIDGE! NOT RIGHT NOW BUT EVENTUALLY! I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M YELLING!

K2daK July 20, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

That is cool...should I buy you some chalk?

Monkey July 20, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

It was a lot more fun and easier than I thought it was going to be...not excited to paint in those tiny groves where you can still see white...have plenty of chalk Kinsley--just couldn't draw on it for three days because it has to set. :)
Can't wait though, and can't wait to put big pictures on it...and monkey---STOP YELLING AT ME...hahaaa! Just for info---we had to paint with a grey primer that is latex--made to paint on metal or whatever. The back of the chalkboard paint box gives you all that info. :)

Natalie July 20, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

That looks fridge-tastic! :) Now stop being so friggin productive and sit on your arses for the rest of summer!!! :)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP