Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Calm Before The Storm





These cute, peaceful pictures of the dogs were taken this afternoon right before all hell broke loose around here. The last couple of days Brinkley and Casey have both equally been picking on each other relentlessly. I've been waiting for it to go too far and today it did. They were trying to get a tug-of-war rope away from Julie and they just lit into each other like crazy. I thought they would break it off like they normally do, but it escalated into something worse. None of my dogs have ever fought like that before and though Casey started the fight, Brinkley certainly finished it. We were stunned for a few seconds and were trying to find something to stick between them to break the fight up when Brinkley took Casey down to the floor and was chomping on his ear and neck. Casey let out the most pitiful cry I've ever heard and after it was over and I broke them up, I thought to myself that it's SOOOO sick that people watch things like that for fun. Watch dogs hurting one another till the point of death even. That is so sick and sad to me that I can't even fathom it because it shook me up so much to watch them do that to each other and made me sad also. After we separated the two of them, we saw that Brinkley didn't even have a scratch, but Casey was bleeding from his ear. He now has about three small holes inside of his ear and when we were putting Neosporin on them, we found a torn place on his ear where it is attached to his head and then the poor dog has a small HOLE in his HEAD beside his ear. It's so awful. The bleeding wasn't terrible, but seeing holes in your baby's head that aren't supposed to be there, is quite frightening and sad. Brinkley took it too far, but it's not like a dog knows what "too far" means and it's not entirely his fault since Casey has been picking on him for days. Anyway, that's the drama that has unfolded here today. Needless to say, Nikki is on the favored list today for sure. As she sits in her favorite spot while I type (my lap), she says, "Boys are mean." (Looking back at some of these pictures, Casey looks like he's looking at Brinkley like something is about to go down.)

2 comments:

Lennye September 15, 2007 at 8:56 PM  

Poor Casey! I don't like it when Cap and Joe tangle either. Something about the alpha dog thing that has to be worked out. However, I am curious with Brinkley recently being FIXED were did his aggression come from. Perhaps, time out is in order for those two Gangstas!

Sarah B. B. September 15, 2007 at 9:36 PM  

Gahhh, what an awful thing. I'm sorry that they won't just chill out & get along. :( Maybe this will put an end to it? I obviously don't know anything about how dogs handle each other, but with human boys, sometimes they just have to duke it out! Good luck, & hope they do better!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP